We, the undersigned, believe that every Queensland worker is entitled to safe working conditions. We believe that our fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, husbands, wives or children have the right to be protected from attacks by thugs, and have the right to come home to our families every day unharmed physically or emotionally. We believe that we have the right to expect our Passenger Transport Workers to be provided with a safe work environment and that the QLD Government has the responsibility of ensuring they are safe at work.
We call on the QLD Government to direct Translink to:
- install driver protection screens on high risk Translink Service Buses
- move to a totally cashless fare system
- increase jail sentences for perpetrators of attacks against passengers and drivers
- introduce training programs to improve the capacity of drivers to reduce violence on public transport
- increase security on high risk routes to improve safety for passengers and drivers.