Do you work in Local Government? Want to know how award modernisation will affect you?
Your TWU is here to help you know where you stand under award modernisation and how it will affect you; and we are at the frontline representing your interests as the process is implemented.
As TWU you will be one step ahead and have access to one on one advice and help: so if you’re not yet TWU, join now.
Facts at a glance on Local Government award modernisation:
- The Newman LNP Government has directed the QLD Industrial Relations Commission (IRC) to modernise existing State Awards.
- In Local Government, the IRC is working towards one Award to cover all employees of Councils in QLD except Brisbane City Council.
- Currently there are two main Awards covering ‘employees’ and ‘officers’ and up to 15 other Awards which provide terms and conditions for Council employees in QLD.
- Most TWU members working for Councils are covered by Enterprise Agreements and this process will have no effect on existing terms and conditions of employment, however, some of these Agreements supplement the Awards or otherwise rely on the Awards for some terms and conditions.
- Your TWU has been at the IRC and has make submissions aimed at ensuring that members do not lose any existing conditions of employment as a result of this exercise, although the government’s requirements do prevent some existing provisions being included in new ‘Modern Awards’.
YOUR TWU WILL DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO PROTECT YOUR WAGES AND CONDITIONS.
Two issues which may impact TWU members are:
- ‘owner driver’ rates; and
- current provisions relating to the standard of ‘camp’ accommodation in remote areas.
Call us on 1800 804 533 or 07 3890 3066:
- If you have any concerns or questions about the award modernisation process (talk to Bob Giddens, TWU Local Government Coordinator)
- If you are an owner driver providing services to council or work at a council and are required to live in ‘camp’ accommodation at any time ( talk to Adam Carter or Margarita Cerrato in your TWU Industrial Department)
- Your TWU ON 1800 804 533
- Access a copy of the ‘Exposure Draft’ of the Modern Award at http://www.qirc.qld.gov.au
- Download140806 local gov with joinupyour TWU flyer on Award Modernisation