Your TWU is in the process of amending rules of the Transport Workers’ Union of Australia, Union of Employees QLD Branch, to comply with recent amendments introduced by the Newman Government under the Industrial Relations (Transparency and Accountability of Registered Organisations) and other Acts Amendment 2013 (QLD).
The amendments relate to ensure policies and procedures for appropriate financial management and transparency are in place.
Please find below the proposed rule changes, which will be discussed at the next Queensland Branch Committee of Management (BCOM) meeting in February, and resolved at the April BCOM meeting.
Notice of amendment to rules
Members are notified of a proposal to amend the Transport Workers’ Union of Australia, Union of Employees (Queensland Branch) rules.
A new rule 44A be inserted, in the following terms:
44A. Expenditure for political purposed
Any expenditure for a political purpose for a political object must comply with the requirements prescribed by the Act and the Regulations.
A new rule 60A be inserted, in the following terms:
60A. Financial Policies
- The Branch must have financial policies as prescribed by the Act and the Regulations.
- Any expenditure must comply with the financial policies.
A new rulee 66 be inserted, in the following terms:
66. General Definition Clause
In these Rules, except where otherwise clearly intended:
- “The Act” shall mean the Industrial Relations Act 1999 as that Act is amended or replaced from time to time.
- “The Regulations” shall mean the regulations made under or pursuant to the Act, however named, as made or amended or replaced from time to time pursuant to the Act.
- “political purpose” has the same meaning as it has pursuant to the Act.
- “political object” has the same meaning as it has pursuant to the Act.
Rule 33 be amended as follows:
“subject to any financial policies made pursuant to these rules, the Branch shall pay the fares of any of its members properly incurred by them in the conduct of the business of the Branch”.
Rule 34 be amended as follows
“Subject to any financial policies made pursuant to these rules, the Branch shall pay all away-from-home allowances to members carrying out any of the duties of their office, which shall include the attendance at meetings of the Branch Committee of Management, or such duties as any member may from time to time be required to carry out.”
The amendment will be considered by the Branch Committee of Management on 25 February 2014 and resolved at the 22 April 2014 BCOM meeting.